Welcome to The Hoist Guy's Blog, where our resident Hoist Guy, Andrew T. Litecky, shares his knowledge and experience of many years in the overhead material handling industry, including some of the top signs that your bridge crane needs modernization (that we find in the field with regrettable frequency).
When do I need to modernize my bridge crane?
While overhead bridge cranes often last 20+ years, and tight budgets mean using equipment for as long as possible, you should absolutely modernize your bridge crane when it shows any sign from the list below. There are, however, many reasons to consider modernizing or upgrading your bridge crane, including:
- Boosting productivity
- Streamlining production
- Increasing safety
For example, if the nature of your production or your lifting needs change, an engineering study will reveal more about upgrading your system capacity. Meanwhile, replacing certain components of your system, such as through a crane controls upgrade, can streamline productivity and increase workplace safety.
And for your consideration, in the tradition of David Letterman, here are -
The Top 10 Signs You Need to Modernize Your Bridge Crane
10) The paint peeling from the girder is lead based and therefore hazardous to everyone that works in your shop.
9) You have a brake failure, and you discover that the brake linings are asbestos.
8) The fabrication method of the crane girder is known as “riveted girder construction.”
7) The wiring is showing dry rot, cracking, and flaking every time someone services the crane.
6) The crane wheels have poured babbitt instead of bearings.
5) The electrification for the runway and across the bridge is bare wire conductors.
4) As the crane travels along the runway, the operator experiences racking, loud vibrations and is generally frightened to use the crane.
3) In the control enclosure, contactors and relays are no longer available.
2) Crane, hoist, and trolley motors were all manufactured by companies long out of business.
1) The technician who comes to repair your crane will never have seen a crane like yours.
Modernize Your Bridge Crane with Shupper-Brickle Equipment
Since 1969, Shupper-Brickle Equipment has provided overhead bridge cranes, hoists and engineering support to the Mid-Atlantic states and worldwide. We represent all major manufacturers, offer comprehensive services and create custom solutions. We provide free quotations and engineering support to customers considering an upgrade. Contact us for bridge crane repair or replace analysis, capacity ratings or structural assessments, or put our 50+ years experienced to work for you, with a proposal to improve your overhead lifting system.